Re: [Xen-devel] Newbie problem: disk error launching FC3 in non-0 domain

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Newbie problem: disk error launching FC3 in non-0 domain
From: Roland Paterson-Jones <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:43:56 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 14:47:19 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Incidently, I have bundled up the mini FC3 filesystem into a file-backed VBD and I'm getting the same problem!

Curiouser and curiouser?

Thanks
Roland

Roland Paterson-Jones wrote:

Hi again

I have a minimal Fedora Core 3 image running fine as domain 0 (thanks and sorry for the previous FAQ query) using both the standard install ramdisk image, and the FC3 ramdisk image downloaded from xen sourceforge.

However, I can't get it running in a non-zero domain.

In brief, I have a full FC3 installed on /dev/hda1, which I typically use as my domain 0 OS. Then I have a minimal FC3 installed on /dev/hdb2.

I can boot into the minimal FC3 on /dev/hdb2 as domain 0 under Xen without a problem.

I'm trying to 'xm create' the minimal FC3 from the full FC3 under Xen, but I get a disk error. Here's the relevant log:

<snip>

Creating /dev
Starting udev
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Switching to new root
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.10-xenU/modules.dep:
No such file or directory

INIT: version 2.85 booting
               Welcome to Fedora Core
               Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Starting udev:  [  OK  ]
Initializing hardware...  storage network audio done[  OK  ]
raidautorun: failed to open /dev/md0: 6
Configuring kernel parameters:  [  OK  ]
hwclock is unable to get I/O port access:  the iopl(3) call failed.
Setting clock  (localtime): Tue Feb  8 16:05:19 SAST 2005 [  OK  ]
Setting hostname localhost.localdomain:  [  OK  ]
Checking root filesystem
[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/hdb2
/: clean, 46221/4866048 files, 350711/9727357 blocks
Error writing block 1548 (Attempt to write block from filesystem
resulted in short write).  Error writing block 1548 (Attempt to write
block from filesystem resulted in short write).

/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
       (i.e., without -a or -p options)

/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
       (i.e., without -a or -p options)
[FAILED]

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

Any idea what the problem is?