[Xen-devel] Re: General questions on IA64 porting

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: General questions on IA64 porting
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 23:29:16 +0000 (UTC)
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:31:31 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 8) How can I help
> you in the IA64 porting and/or testing ?

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this question.  One thing
that would be useful would be some work on the serial
I/O code.  Right now, I bypass the UART code in
drivers/char/{serial,console}.c because it does
inb/outb calls to addresses that are incorrect on
ia64.  Instead I have a horrible hack that puts out
characters through a routine that is known to work
only on the HP rx2600 and ski simulator.  And even for
these it only does output so there's no way to control
Xen/ia64.  Since I don't have access to any machines
other than these, it would be hard for me to test any
improvements.

If you have another type of ia64 machine and especially
if you have a good hardware debugger (as its very hard
to debug code when you have no output at all :-), getting
this code to be more portable would be a big contribution.

If possible it would be nice to leverage the existing
Xen/x86 code.  There were also a number of recent
"early printk" changes in Linux/ia64 2.6.10 that might
be useful, however it would not be good to pull in all
the Linux tty struct code just to support basic serial
I/O.

Interested?

Thanks,
Dan Magenheimer