Re: [Xen-devel] debian python-install.patch (3 of 5)

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Mark Williamson wrote:

> > No, that's not correct.
> >
> > Even if the latex2html binary exists, you can't call it.  non-free things
> > could be installed on the build host, but as long as you don't call them,
> > you don't depend on them.
> >
> > There should be some kind of configure-like setup.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't quite see the distinction here.  I'm not particularly
> familiar with Debian policy - does being able to take advantage of non-free
> software that happens to be present constitute a dependency?

It must be possible to build an empty chroot, install only the listed build
depends, and get exactly the same set of debs, as compared to building on a
heavily loaded development system(that may just happen to have things
installed that, for whatever reason, shouldn't be used).

This is all about automation.  Being able to reproduce the final output,
exactly as needed.

If random things are installed, and change the features enabled in some debs,
then this requirement is broken.

> > debian/changelog changes with each upload(version, changelog entry, and
> > timestamp).
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to keep the debian stuff to myself.
> > It's just difficult to integrate with upstream(any upstream, not just xen).
>
> OK, makes sense.  If it's going to cause trouble, perhaps you could maintain
> the Debian build system for the "real" packages separately but supply
> snapshots to check in every so often?  I agree it's not really ideal.

I've never really had such an active upstream, so willing to make things
easier.  koth was closest, but they weren't interested in debian/*, just the
changes I'd make to their source.