[Xen-devel] xend crash/hang scenario

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] xend crash/hang scenario
From: Mike Culbertson <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 02:19:35 -0800
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:39:51 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I inadvertently found a way to crash/hang xend and almost completely lock
oneself out of a domain.  I was testing a new domain, and without thinking I
did 'cat /dev/urandom' (rather than head or tail, oopsie) to make sure it was
functioning. The resulting flood of output pegged xend at 99% cpu, where it
stayed for 10 minutes before I killed it off.  The real issue came after a
restart, when I attempted to console back into the running domain. Either I
had not managed to ctrl+c the `cat` prior to hanging xend or the output
buffer was so full that it continued to spew garbage at me when I would
restart xend and console in (I'm guessing).  I got back on the the console a
minute or so later by either managing to ctrl+c at the right time, or the
output buffer finally emptied.

This specific situation is not so scary since only people who didn't sleep
enough *cough* would be cat-ing /dev/urandom, but I found that the event is
not limited to something that silly.  It seems that any large output of
binary to the console will hang xend. I can reproduce the exact situation
with "cat /usr/bin/vim" or any other decent-sized binary.  Xend managed to
recover from cat-ing binaries up to about 1.5mb, but anything larger than 2mb
had xend using 99% cpu anywhere from 5 minutes to indefinitely (longer than I
could wait anyway). Memory usage during the hangs does not go up appreciably.
Strategic ctrl+c gets me back to console with relative ease, but it still
requires a xend restart (sometimes 2 or 3) before I can get back in.

In contrast to the binary output, even extremely large text files (500mb+)
appear to have no ill effect, even when cat'd in a while loop.

I have not tried outside of my setup so I don't know if it's reproducable, but
it is very concerning to me that any user in any domain could, with a typo,
crush the CPU and take out all management capability as well.  I'll provide
any additional info if it will help.

Running Xen 2.0.3
Hardware: Dual Athlon XP 1900+ (1.6g) 512mb RAM
Domain0: Gentoo 2004.3 running 2.6.10-xen0 128mb RAM allocated CPU0
DomainU: Gentoo 2004.3 2.6.10-xenU / default config / 128mb RAM allocated CPU1

--
Mike Culbertson