Re: [Xen-devel] Xen as a kernel module

To: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen as a kernel module
From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:59:52 -0800
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:02:11 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kip Macy wrote:
I'm obviously partisan, but I think that would largely defeat the
privilege de-coupling that they're trying to achieve. Not to mention
nullifying the notion of a driver domain.

Is anyone actually using driver domains, other than dom0? It would be really cool if hardware vendors started shipping drivers in Xen-VM format, but until that happens I do not see much motivation for having multiple full Linuxes around just to achieve a limited amount of isolation.

It is no secret that I much preferred the old and simpler model, but I understand that noone likes having to port drivers, and I guess this is one reason for the current state of things. With Xen inside the host OS kernel, you would get the performance of the old model, and the ease of development of the new model, plus potentially the option of running Xen on millions of Windows-desktops (I am sure the Silicon Valley VCs would love to hear that ;-)).

With all the OSes currently ported to Xen, the Xen hypercall interface could become a de-facto standard for paravirtualized OSes, especially if Xen were able to run on top of Windows as well as on top of Linux.

Jacob