Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel panic on xen-unstable from 24.1.2005

To: tdc <tdc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel panic on xen-unstable from 24.1.2005
From: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:13:19 -0700 (MST)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:14:24 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
an old and common problem with K7 CPUs and vanilla kernels is that they'll
panic, since the default kernel tries to do things that the CPU won't do
(memory tells me they try to go after MSRs that are not there).  Redhat 8
installs always used to go fine on K7s but when you rebooted with the
installed kernel ... boom. The kernel they installed relied on features
not available on the k7. The symptom was always a GPF as you booted up.

This may not be your problem, but it looks strangely like that old problem
which we used to see. You might want to comb over your kernel config
again for your amd mobo.

ron