RE: [Xen-devel] xen 2.0.x and debian

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, James Harper wrote:

> > I plan on releasing(by release, I mean upload to debian itself) the
> xen
> > debs tomorrow evening.  2.4.28 is not in debian yet, so there won't be
> > a patch for that, only 2.6.10.
>
> *wild cheering and applause*

I got a private email tonight, asking when I'd release.  So, I set a
timeframe.

> > Initially, I'll only be uploading 2.0.1.  But this weekend I'll
> probably
> > upload 2.0.3 versions.  Afterwards, I'll start sending the patches
> I've
> > done to the build system(make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/foo kinda stuff,
> > mostly).
>
> Can you give a quick summary on how it all hangs together in debian?
> Will there be packages for the user mode stuff and a kernel-patch for
> the kernel stuff so I can just build a xen with a make-kpkg? How does it
> differ from Brian's effort?

Yes, make-kpkg works.  I've got these debs installed on the 2 2.0 machines we
have here(haven't converted the 1.2 box yet).

make-kpkg places the kernels in /boot.  You call it by:

        make-kpkg kernel-image --arch xen

adam@gradall:~/code/xen/xen-2.0.1+2.0.2$ cat debian/control
Source: xen
Maintainer: Adam Heath <doogie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Section: admin
Standards-Version: 3.6.1.0
Build-Depends: latex2html, tgif, debhelper (>= 4)

Package: xen
Architecture: i386
Depends: python2.3-twisted, python2.3, libxen-python, python,
${shlibs:Depends}
 bar

Package: libxen2.0
Architecture: i386
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
 bar

Package: libxen-dev
Architecture: i386
Depends: libxen2.0 (= ${Source-Version})
 bar

Package: xen-docs
Architecture: all
 bar

Package: libxen-python
Architecture: i386
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
 bar

Package: kernel-patch-xen
Architecture: i386
Depends: ${kpatch:Depends}
 bar

I need to fill in the descriptions(copied from the earlier debs).  Also need
to build it in a chroot, and verify the build-depends, and installation
depends.