Re: [Xen-devel] VIF setup

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:40:08PM -0700, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Adam Sulmicki wrote:
> >        /sbin/ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
>
> Am I the only person who sees this as a tad odd? I can't escape thinking
> about a real bridge. Seems to me each eth or vif you add to a bridge
> should retain its IP and the bridge, basically being a device that does
> mac-layer routing, has no IP.

Actually, if you think about it, it makes complete sense. I really can't
imagine a switch where each port has it's own IP address. The switch itself
having an IP address on the other hand is perfectly reasonable, as in the
case of a managed switch.

> I guess this is an artifact of how it is implemented?

I think it'd be wierd if it worked any other way, taking the above into account.

Jody Belka
knew (at) pimb (dot) org