Re: [Xen-devel] nfsroot and brige

To: Jan Kundrát <jan.kundrat@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] nfsroot and brige
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:13:47 +0000
Cc: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Adam Sulmicki <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:40:31 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Yes, I think we should try routing instead. Should be easy to concoct
> > some replacement scripts?
>
> What about performance comparsion? What is faster, ipv4 routing or L2
> bridging? (-> you'll have to recompile & restart domain0 for adding
> support of more protocols ;-))

I seriously doubt there'll be any measurable performance difference.

> You'll have to configure your routers to route traffic for unprivileged
> host via domain0 IP address, right? It's more difficult for newbies than
> setting up bridging properly, IMHO.

Obviously routing will only work if you're using IP. (Obviously
you'd need to configure v4 and v6 differently).

I haven't thought through what happens if you're using DHCP to
assign user domains static IPs. It might just work if domain0
forwards traffic to the IP broadcast address (255.255.255.255),
or it might be necessary to use a dhcp relay or do something
fancy with netfilter. I'd need to remind myself of what dhcp
requests/replies look like...

Ian