Re: [Xen-devel] i686 requirements

Regarding XEN requirements to run, I'd like to know if there is any
important reason to require i686-class cpus (ie: ppro, p2, etc.. and
k7...). In my limited understanding of 386 arch, ppro added
conditional moves and PAE, perhaps even huge-pages (have to check this
one). Is XEN explicitely (as in, used directly on assembler code)
using any of these?

XEN is smart enough not to attempt to use PAE if it not supported.

As far as CMOVE and PSE goes, This my patch posted a while ago will fix it. You can find it on web in varous xen archives, for example

        http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/4062
        http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10258941

it is important to note that it is against xen 2.0.1 so you must use

        bk clone -rRELEASE-2.0.1 bk://xen.bkbits.net/xen-2.0.bk xen-2.0.1.bk

instead of as

        bk clone bk://xen.bkbits.net/xen-2.0.bk

as mentioned in the above said email.

It has worked for me and Rupert Schlick, but other than that it had fairly limited testing. So the more ppl test it out the better.

I hope to port it to xen 2.0.2 and xen 2.0-testing eventually.

My motivation is getting XEN to run on my (aging) k6 server machine.

I'm not that familar with specs of K6 so there migt be other gotchas, but I suppose it is worth of a try.