Re: [Xen-devel] FreeBSD/Xen ugliness

To: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] FreeBSD/Xen ugliness
From: Derrik Pates <dpates@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:14:49 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:45:48 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kip Macy wrote:
You're probably using a newer version of xen then I was. I only promised
that it work on the version that I was using.

I'm using the 2.0.2 source, though the directory doesn't exist in 2.0.1 either.

This doesn't sound correct - make kernel-depend has always worked for
me. However, I have only built on 5.1 and 5.2.1.

I tried 'make kernel-depend' under sys-5.2.1/ and sys-5.2.1/i386-xeno/compile/XENCONF; I got the "no target by that name" message in both cases. I tried to follow your directions, but it was difficult since things started diverging about halfway through.

I understand your frustration, having been in the same position dozens
of times before when using "free" open source software (it is only truly
free if your time is free). Nonetheless, there are numerous other
things going on in my life that frequently take priority.

Understood, but I can't seem to find anyone who can say for sure it even works; I thought I'd be able to build it, and no dice. I've been dealing with another (unrelated) FreeBSD annoyance, as well, and it's getting to me. I'm just generally irritated today, don't take it too personally. :)

I'm going to try and build FreeBSD against xen-2.0-testing.bk.

If that works, will this prohibit it from playing nice with Xen 2.0.2?

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@xxxxxxxxxx