Re: [Xen-devel] protecting xen startup

To: Jan Kundr?t <jan.kundrat@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] protecting xen startup
From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:21:37 +0000
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Williamson <maw48@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:20:30 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 11:00:57PM +0100, Jan Kundr?t wrote:
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >
> > perhaps i should explain: i am looking to use xen to implement
> > a new level of paranoid security.
> >
> > i aim to run single applications, such as firefox and
> > openoffice, in their own dedicated virtual machines, a
> > localised file server in one (or more if i can get GFS or OCFS2
> > to work) virtual machine(s), and for the applications to each
> > connect to the xen master running an x-server [nomachine isn't
> > quite suitable, i may have to write my own ssh-based x-proxy].
>
> Do you mean running xserver in domain0?

 um, yes.

> You should better setup separate
> domain for it.

 really?  is that possible?

 can i run an xserver in a separate guest OS and still allow the guest
 OS direct access to the screen?

 how is that done - via a framebuffer drive?

 tellmetellme!!!!

> But are you sure that such a setup will be usable and fast enough?

 i gonna find out :)

> > allowing a compromised guest OS to fire up another virtual
> > machine, connect to the x-server and spoof "please enter your
> > password" dialog boxes is therefore to be avoided!!!
>
> If I'm not mistaken, you can start up new VMs only from domain0 or
> through HTTP interface, So you can easily firewall all traffic inside
> domain0 to local port 8000 (except for 127.0.0.1/32).

 yeh, *grumble*, and you can also, in selinux, ban applications from
 accessing a port.