Re: [Xen-devel] build suggestion

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 15:42, Christian Limpach wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 12:46:35PM -0500, Brian Wolfe wrote:
> > The second reason for the unified diffs vs sparse patches is that
> > everyone understands them. True, everyone understands the sparse
> > patches, but if a distro builds both a 2.4.27 AND a 2.6.8.1 kernel, then
> > the sparse patching with symlinks WILL walk on each other when the
> > distro applies it's own patches (see the debianizing stuff of the xen
> > source diff for debian for the temp solution of converting to unified
> > diff prior to creating the kernel images).
>
> You could change the mkbuildtree scripts to copy the files instead
> of creating symlinks.  That should allow you to apply different patches
> to multiple trees.
>
>     christian

That still doesn't fix the issue of the sparse patch replacing files
that may have been altered by the distro. 8-( As it stands now you have
to sparse-patch fist, THEN apply any other patches that you want. This
is an undesireable situation to be in when there are many other things
to patch. (bug fixes, stadard features specific to this distro, etc).

IMO replacing files and adding new ones is a bad way of distributing
changes to a standard software package when a beter way IMHO exists. The
only dificulty is in that if we had a diff for each tree, then they
would be large, and splitting the diffs based on what's common, and what
isn't, is tough. 8-P I wonder if I could make a script that takes the
individual diffs nd pulls out the unique alterations into their own
files and leaves a single large common diff....