Re: [Xen-devel] problems with vbd creation

To: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] problems with vbd creation
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 08:10:57 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 08:13:18 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm incrementally moving to top of trunk -
> I was on 1.921 and just upgraded to 1.955, now when I start a domain I
> get the following error:
> Parsing config file '/u/kmacy/xentmp/freebsd.curly'
> VM image           : "/u/kmacy/kernel"
> VM ramdisk         : ""
> VM memory (MB)     : "16"
> VM IP address(es)  : "172.16.9.213"
> VM block device(s) : "phy:loopa,loopa,w"
> VM cmdline         :
> "boot.netif.ip=172.16.9.213,boot.netif.netmask=255.255.0.0,boot.netif.gateway=
> 172.16.9.1,vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/xbd0a,bootverbose=1  "
> <...>
> Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

Is the dodgy looking command line the error? (I'm not sure what a
freebsd command line should look like). Also, do you really want
the target device to be loopa? Or have you arranged that xbd0
happens to have the same device number as loopa in Linux?

Have you rebuilt and installed the tools that came with the repo?
It's possible that 1.955 was just a bad version.

BTW: We're about to make a change that may impact the FreeBSD
port, but hopefully not much. We're intending to remove the
command to pin L1 pages (L2 pining will still work fine). I don't
think pining L1 buys us anything, and adds extra complexity to
Xen's type checking. We've never used it in Linux 2.6, and we're
just about to remove it from 2.4.

Ian