Re: [Xen-devel] Problems booting 2.6.7 Dom0 with 3ware Controllers

To: sven.kretzschmar@xxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Problems booting 2.6.7 Dom0 with 3ware Controllers
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:00:36 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:02:30 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I tried to install and boot a 2.6.7 Dom0 xenLinux Kernel on an
> SMP (Dual-Xeon) Machine with 2 3-ware Controllers installed
> (1 4-channel Controler and 1 8-channel Controler, both Parallel ATA)
> and no other HDs present (except the ones connected to the
> 3ware controlers, of course).
>
> First of all I got a compilation error after activating the SMP option
> in the kernel config.
> After deactivating the SMP option, compile + install worked.
>
> Does the 2.6.7 xenLinux Dom0 Kernel support SMP at all ?

Although Xen supports SMP machines, each guest OS kernel must be
uniprocessor. Post-2.0 that's something we plan to address, but
for now you'll have to make do with running uni-processor
guestOSes on each CPU.

Ensuring strict protection is maintained while running SMP guests
is actually quite a challenge, but one we've thought pretty hard
about and have some neat solutions ready to implement.

Ian