[Xen-devel] Xen, gridcluster, boot with red hat ent 3

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen, gridcluster, boot with red hat ent 3
From: Rune Johan Andresen <runejoha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:20:48 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:28:39 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, thanks for the answers, they will be important for this project and hopefully Xen can be usefull for the beta-oriented gridcluster. The only problem right now is to make it boot up with a distribution (Cern Linux) based on the Redhat Ent 3. I follow all the instructions, there should be no HW conflicts , but still the bootup halts on "Freeing kernel mem.." The Xen boots up perfectly with Debian Sid..

The Red Hat Ent 3 is pretty old, but the glibc is compiled for i686 and the Xen kernel is compiled for the the right cpu, so the traditional error are checked out. The system is not halting either, but seems to go in an eternal loop. The keyboard works, but I cannot ping or ssh the OS..

I have tried the sysreq option, where sysreq p gives:

PID: 1, comm            init
EIP: 0819[<00ae870>] CPU: 0 EFLAGS: 00201217 Not tainted

the last Bootlines gives:

hdc: attached ude-cdrom driver
hdc: ATAPO 48X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision:  3.12
Partition check:
  hda: [PTBL] [4865/255/63] hda1 hda2 hda3
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Red Hat/Adaptec aacraid driver (1.1-3 Jul 1 2004 14:08:39)
megaraid: v1.18k
megaraid: no BIOS enabled
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
Initialiising Xen netif backend
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
IP: routing cache hash table of 1024 buckets, 8Kbytes
ip_conntrack version 2.1 (1024 buckets, 8192 max) - 288 bytes per
conntrack
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
Bridge firewalling registered
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Freeing unused kernel memory: 112k freed

All help aprecciated :-)

Regards
Rune J.Andresen