Re: [Xen-devel] Re: paging request failures under load (was: Re: Null po

To: stevegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: paging request failures under load (was: Re: Null pointer deference)
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:35:15 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:48:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> - install ksymoops/System.map on those nodes so that we can get
>   meaningful oops output if it does happen again (per earlier mail from
>   Ian and Bin)

Number-one priority for debugging is having access to the kernel
object file (it's the 'vmlinux' file at the root of the build
tree). Given that, and the precise version of Xen/Xenolinux that you
built, I can have a fair stab at unpicking what happened. If the crash
is in Xen itself then the Xen image file is what I need ('xen' file at
teh root of the Xen build tree).

Symbolic backtraces are nice but definitely of secondary importance.

> The reason I'm doing this in a chroot is that I'm thinking of setting up
> an automated Xen regression test environment under Xen, daily pulls,
> that sort of thing.  This NFS root would be a build server for that
> environment.  Is anyone already working on something like this?

We have a regression test here in the lab, but:
 1. It uses some SPEC benchmarks, so it's not publically distributable.
 2. It's based on an old Redhat -- a more up-to-date filesystem would
 be good.
 3. We don't have enough spare machines to do a really large test.

Your setup sounds liek it could be much better!

 -- Keir