Re: [Xen-devel] Xen1.2 NetBSD port snapshot available and set_gdt patch

To: Christian Limpach <chris@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen1.2 NetBSD port snapshot available and set_gdt patch for Xen1.2
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:37:47 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:53:09 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I've updated the NetBSD port to Xen1.2.  Updated files are available at

Cool -- that was quick work.

I see that the linux domain building routine was close enough to
what you needed, so you didn't need a NetBSD specific routine.

How do you think it best to distribute this stuff?  We'd be
happy to put whatever you think appropriate in to the Xen tree.

> I've also found a bug in Xen1.2 and to run NetBSD you'll have to apply a
> patch until this is fixed in the repository.  set_gdt() copies Xen's GDT
> entries to the wrong page, this instantly kills the hypervisor when the
> new GDT is activated.  Also the check for new GDT pages does always check
> the first GDT page, which allows installing arbitrary GDT entries.

Oops. A couple of embarrassing ones there...
I've applied the fix to the 1.2 tree and pushed it to
bk://xen.bkbits.net

Fortunately, the bug had already been expunged in the 1.3 tree
thanks to a complete rewrite of that bit of code.

Cheers,
Ian