[Xen-API] Re: XCP BETA BUG: bridge, kernel panic

To: S??bastien Riccio <sr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-API] Re: XCP BETA BUG: bridge, kernel panic
From: Ben Pfaff <blp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:24:17 -0700
Cc: Breaker <aborodin1985@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:24:41 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 08:10:23AM +0200, S??bastien Riccio wrote:
> On 15.09.2011 07:37, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> >
> >S??bastien Riccio<sr-dWg6jWm8wxMIjDr1QQGPvw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:
> >
> >>Is your XCP running openvswitch or bridge mode ?
> >>
> >>You can cat /etc/xensource/network.conf to check it out.
> >>
> >>If it's running in openvswitch mode, don't use brctl to manually play
> >>with the bridges,
> >>that could be the reason it's panicing.
> >Using brctl in openvswitch mode isn't usually the right thing to
> >do, but it shouldn't cause a panic.  If it does, then that's a
> >bug that we, meaning the Open vSwitch developers, need to fix.
> >(But this is the first I've heard of such a problem.)
> >
> That was just a supposition, I don't remember which version of
> openvswitch is running on XCP 1.1 beta,
> and my sandbox is down so I can't try to reproduce it at the moment.

I agree.  That's what the OOPS looks like to me, too, at first glance.
The goal of my reply is to make it clear that that would be a bug in
itself.  It's not just user error, even though the user may not be
doing what would best achieve his goal.

> ps: It looks like to me that your reply didn't make it to the list

My previous replies via gmane.org made it OK, it just took a while.  I
assume that this one will be the same way.

Thanks,

Ben.