Re: [Xen-API] missing ebtalbes and arp_tables modules in XCP's dom0 linu

To: Roman Bogorodskiy <bogorodskiy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] missing ebtalbes and arp_tables modules in XCP's dom0 linux
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:49:12 -0400
Cc: Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mellor@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:49:52 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=EHRtEN0T+JeTWgxmq51WLeLI8qPjm10BCYP+nHrAuZg=; b=fYiw90wGS9RH6BtMKnR5Uv/T3whnKAUg1U5ZimnYGuiKCq82/tamOzCW/R1lL9cJuU QwZdaFNRR7LUsCfUKApIVSrZU4Tik3HOGHrHETfmWnCQx+SDKTSVl7pDM6dSWaPKPY19 JpIo11No+UzK2io6AI+UolE0y1L0BJ9JTj0Ho=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Roman Bogorodskiy
<bogorodskiy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Todd Deshane wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Roman Bogorodskiy
>> <bogorodskiy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to deploy openstack's nova on XCP. I hit the problem that
>> > nova agent stuff that needs to be run in dom0 requires arptables and
>> > ebtables to function.
>>
>> Are you trying to install Nova on XCP dom0? If so that is not possible
>> with the XCP appliance version of XCP.
>
> No, I installed Nova into VM, not on dom0 (I followed the guide you
> linked beyond). It is the plugins that I have problems with. Basically,
> I followed this document:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~hudson-openstack/nova/cactus/view/head:/plugins/xenserver/doc/networking.rst
>

>From that link it says:
"XenServer 5.6 FP1 didn't include physdev, ebtables, or arptables but they do
  have a Cloud Supplemental pack available to partners which swaps out the
  kernels for kernels that support the networking rules."

So this is actually a kernel issue.

Ewan: is the "Cloud Supplemental pack" something that is still
available and usable with XCP 1.1 (based on XenServer 5.6 SP 2) or is
a recompilation of the kernel necessary? Has this been fixed with
XenServer 6 (Boston) that we will be the basis for the XCP release
(1.5 or 2.0) on?

Thanks,
Todd