Re: [Xen-API] missing ebtalbes and arp_tables modules in XCP's dom0 linu

To: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] missing ebtalbes and arp_tables modules in XCP's dom0 linux
From: Roman Bogorodskiy <bogorodskiy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:41:27 -0700
Cc: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:41:52 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=date:from:to:cc:subject:message-id:references:mime-version :content-type:content-disposition:in-reply-to:user-agent; bh=mlaUNWaXinjBRAPxciMV3uq8LNF2wrzgkcAhwbSLiLQ=; b=JHsdrCHX1HRlRI6GT6bm3Q41NHwM+Nef85lG+2IaxhdAetyuWCfPibYiWMu2FFv9gJ KJEUEhVwtr9SARMw5Et3qmRsX6KPDbJeXx7tOy95Z+ADgbA3p80Pzjks92iovj+duWk6 Ce/bbTF7S3g63ZK2nxN56VaJYZe3liLukmVB0=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Todd Deshane wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Roman Bogorodskiy
> <bogorodskiy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to deploy openstack's nova on XCP. I hit the problem that
> > nova agent stuff that needs to be run in dom0 requires arptables and
> > ebtables to function.
>
> Are you trying to install Nova on XCP dom0? If so that is not possible
> with the XCP appliance version of XCP.

No, I installed Nova into VM, not on dom0 (I followed the guide you
linked beyond). It is the plugins that I have problems with. Basically,
I followed this document:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~hudson-openstack/nova/cactus/view/head:/plugins/xenserver/doc/networking.rst

and there's a script that uses arptables and ebtables:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~hudson-openstack/nova/cactus/view/head:/plugins/xenserver/networking/etc/init.d/host-rules

> We are porting the XCP toolstack (xapi) to Debian as part of project
> Kronos [1], which will allow for OpenStack and xapi to reside on dom0.
>
> For the XCP appliance you need to install Nova in a VM. Detailed
> instructions are available here:
>
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment
>
> We are tracking (and currently in the process of testing) RPM packages
> for the XCP appliance that provide the XenAPI plugins that are needed
> on the XCP dom0. The repo that is tracking git commits is available
> here:
> http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack/openstack-xen-plugins/
>
> XCP + a Nova VM has been successfully tested. The
> openstack/openstack-operators mailing list should be used for any
> OpenStack-specific issues, but you can also feel free to contact me
> via email (or even IRC - deshantm on freenode) for input after you
> have created the OpenStack+Xen thread on the appropriate list.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to create a thread there. I thought that
the question more XCP specific, that the reason I tried think list
first.

Roman Bogorodskiy