[Xen-API] RE: handling "guest tools" versions

To: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-api <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-API] RE: handling "guest tools" versions
From: Andrew Peace <Andrew.Peace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 17:12:19 +0100
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 May 2010 10:32:49 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Unfortunately when someone makes a VM "appliance", they have to choose
> an arbitrary version number and stick it in there. At some point in the future
> this version will trigger the "please upgrade the guest tools" warning...
> however it's probably not going to be possible to actually upgrade the tools,
> as the appliance may be (should be?) locked down.

I think it would be great to have a solution to this problem - it definitely
can be annoying.  The solution you suggest seems reasonable; in this case,
would the presence of the immutable flag be sufficient to suppress the warning,
or would all the keys (including immutable) have to be present?  The guest
tools could be perhaps trivially extended so that they can be started in a way
that causes the flag to be written (e.g. on Linux by checking a config file) so
that appliance authors don't have to invent their own init scripts.

As a future addition it may also be worth thinking through how an appliance can
indicate that it is out-of-date so that a user may be prompted to update the
entire appliance (a GUI might display a warning that, when clicked on, follows
a URL, for example).

Thanks,
Andy.