[Xen-API] handling "guest tools" versions

To: xen-api <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-API] handling "guest tools" versions
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 14:23:37 +0100
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 May 2010 06:23:48 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

After installing a guest on XCP we usually recommend installing the "guest
tools". For windows this includes the PV drivers + a user-space agent (the
agent handles things like clean shutdown requests); for linux this includes
possibly a kernel update + a user space agent (actually a simple bash script
which runs from cron and reports stats).

Currently the user space agents write version numbers to xenstore which xapi
compares with its internal version number and sets a per-VM flag
PV-drivers-up-to-date. If this flag is false we're basically saying, "please
upgrade the guest tools just in case something has changed"

Unfortunately when someone makes a VM "appliance", they have to choose an
arbitrary version number and stick it in there. At some point in the future
this version will trigger the "please upgrade the guest tools" warning...
however it's probably not going to be possible to actually upgrade the tools,
as the appliance may be (should be?) locked down.

To address this I propose that we add an extra flag

/local/domain/<domid>/attr/PVAddons/Immutable

Next to the existing

/local/domain/<domid>/attr/PVAddons/MajorVersion
/local/domain/<domid>/attr/PVAddons/MinorVersion
/local/domain/<domid>/attr/PVAddons/MicroVersion
/local/domain/<domid>/attr/PVAddons/BuildVersion
/local/domain/<domid>/attr/PVAddons/Installed

Which if both present in xenstore and set to "1" will override the
PV-drivers-up-to-date warning. It will still be possible for clients to see the
raw version numbers through the API (VM_guest_metrics:PV_drivers_version map)
but they won't be prompted to take an action which they can't perform and thus
get annoyed IYSWIM :)

What do you think?

Cheers,
Dave