Re: [Xen-API] Xen-API Preview Tree

To: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Xen-API Preview Tree
From: Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:42:43 -0400
Cc: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Xen-API <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:43:20 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 10/09/2006 12:38:08 PM:

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 10:42:52AM -0400, Stefan Berger wrote:
>
> > xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/08/2006 05:00:13 PM:
> >
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I have put a tree on Xenbits containing our work-in-progress regarding a
> > > Xend that supports the new Xen-API.  You may pull from this tree using
> > >
> > > hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xen-api.hg
> >
> > I will supply a patch for xend to reflect the previously submitted Xen-API
> > changes for vTPM support. I want to separate the vTPM support into an
> > extra class for having the possibility to extend that class in the future.
>
> How do you expect this to differ from the vTPM support in Xend today?

The move of aspects of this device into its own class puts it line with all the other devices in regards to handling of properties: uuid, driver_type, VM reference to where backend is located, its instance number etc.. If I now interpret the usage of for example the VTPM.create() method correctly, then a VM with an associated vTPM needs to have this method for getting an approriate entry written into its VM configuration file.

In the future extensions could be used to manage the actual state of a TPM, for example its owner password etc.

   Stefan