RE: [Xen-users] Two v.3.4.1 downloads

It does to replace the kernel in addition to adding another line to grub (or other boot loader).

You need a xen kernel to run xen….

From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bruce Edge
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:12 AM
To: gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxx; Xen users mailing list
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Two v.3.4.1 downloads

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:46 AM, ken<gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/26/2009 10:32 AM Bruce Edge wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 6:58 AM, ken<gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> At <http://www.xen.org/download/> there are two downloads for v.3.4.1
>>> and only a very brief description of each:
>>>
>>> Xen 3.4.1 (hypervisor and tools) official source distribution
>>
>> This is the xen tools source.
>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> Linux 2.6.18 with Xen 3.4.x support source tarball
>>
>> This is the patched linux kernel.
>>
>>> What's the difference?  The implication is that the first is *not* Linux.
>>
>> Both of these need to be dropped into an already installed linux distro.
>
> I'm guessing, then, that the xen tools source needs to be compiled.
> And the patched linux kernel (of the "support source tarball") needs
> also to be compiled and then replaces the kernel that came with whatever
> distro I'm using, yes?

It doesn't replace the kernel exactly, it;s additional line added to the grub entry before the kernel.

I'm also getting up to speed here, but I managed to get a 2.6.31 dom0 running using these references on top of Ubuntu 9.04:

http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/building-xenified-2-6-30-1-kernel-via-xen-patches-2-6-30-2-tar-bz2/

http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2009/08/14/attempt-of-prevu-xen-3-4-1-hypervisor-on-ubuntu-jaunty-server-64-bit/

-Bruce