[Xen-users] Console stops responding after init finsihes runlevel 2 startup

I have a new guest (Debian Etch) which started life as a physical machine. I installed a Xen kernel (2.6.26-2-xen-686) and copied the filesystem contents to a new volume on an existing Xen host (kernel 2.6.18-6-xen-686 and xen-hypervisor-3.2-1-i386).

It boots and runs just fine, but as init finishes starting things up in runlevel 2 the console stops responding. Console output still works (eg kernel messages are produced when loading modules), but no keyboard input is accepted. I put some scripts in /etc/rc2.d that just did "sleep 5", and while these are sleeping, I can hit return and get blank lines. Immediately the last file is run, the keyboard stops responding.

If i startup in single user mode and manually start each service, it works fine.

Any suggestions where to look ?

--
Simon Hobson