Re: [Xen-users] Convert physical server to VM

I have no experience about converting Windows physical hosts to XEN hosts :( In my modest opinion, I think this is the way:

- Create a LVM on the xen server with the same or more space than the windows HD.
- Shutdown windows machine.
- Boot windows box with a GNU/Linux LiveCD
- Copy all the windows HD with dd:

dd if=/dev/hda | ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx "/bin/dd of=/dev/vg00/vmwindows"

- Then pray :) and hope windows boot correctly, my knowledge about windows is poor :( .

Interesting.

¿And what's about product like http://www.platespin.com/products/powerconvert/?

I've not tried it, but it sound great. However, personally I prefer an old and reliable tools as dd ;)

--
Thanks,
Jordi Espasa Clofent