(although it sometimes prints "unsupported xc_ptrace request PTRACE_SETFPREGS"),
but gdb is unable to do much:

(gdb) target remote 127.0.0.1:9999
Remote debugging using 127.0.0.1:9999
[New Thread 0]
[Switching to Thread 0]
0xffffffff801073aa in hypercall_page ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xffffffff801073aa in hypercall_page ()
Cannot access memory at address 0xffffffff80107000
(gdb) continue
Continuing.
Warning:
Cannot insert breakpoint -2.
Error accessing memory address 0xffffffff80100000: Input/output error.

Does this work for anyone else ?

I would appreciate any suggestions. I can supply more information if anyone is
interested.

Tim