Re: [Xen-users] Using lvm for domUs

"Tijl Van den Broeck" <subspawn@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> That said, I'd love to be able to have the DomUs detect partition size
>> changes without reboots of the DomU
>
> We do use LVM inside domU's for that, the SAN provides fixed size
> LUN's, which is transparantly mapped through into the domU using
> domU-name as prefix for the groups. It does have some minor annoyances
> when performing live migration (ie. your source & target dom0 must be
> -aware- of the LVM, so don't forget the rescan for LVM groups). Other
> than that, I don't see why not recommending it, as long as your dom0
> does not use the LVM, there are no issues with it... and you enable
> hot disk space adding :-)
>

>>  or even nicer -- have the LVM
>> handling be passed through to Dom0 directly instead of handled as
>> emulated partitions.  That is to say, /dev/DomU_VG/logs could be
>> configured to pass through to Dom0's /dev/main/xen_DomU_logs directly
>> ... but I've never played with the LVM internals so I'm not sure how
>> likely that is to ever happen.
>
> You're referring to internal "sharing" of an LVM from a dom0 towards a
> domU with all its options, right? That's an interesting concept. I
> wonder how it would handle on security levels though, I think you'd
> have to go beyond the mere "passing-through" of block devices,
> possibly mixing things making it too complex to handle.

If you have enough disks/partitions you can make one VG per domU and
share that for dom0 and domU using cluster lvm (clvm) to keep them in
sync. Instead of real disks/partitions you can run lvm in dom0, create
a LV per domU and run lvm on it again. But then you have to
specifically include the first lvm LVs in lvm.conf and run vgscan
twice. I think that should work.

We use lvm inside LVs here on a HA cluster but the inside lvm is
exclusively for the domU. No sharing with dom0. The dom0 lvm is so we
can resize and create/destroy LVs on the fly, the inside lvm is
because all our servers are setup the same.

MfG
        Goswin