Re: [Xen-users] what do you recommend for cluster fs ??

If you are going through the trouble of a second network, wouldn't using 1Gbit fibre make more sense? 1gbt fibre-channel is actually cheaper than gigabit Ethernet, assuming you are buying name-brand equipment, comparing used to used, and for disk use, fibre-channel is much faster than going over the network. It also has basic disk organization/pesudo-security built in already.

I use pci-x qlogic 2200 cards (around $10 per) and Brocade silworm 2800 switches (around $100/each) along with whatever fibre arrays I can find (I have a IBM EXP-500 right now- Nice! but it was $250. You can get used dell/EMC 10 bay half-height arrays for little more than shipping; but that's 'cause they are flimsy crap. After getting it shipped with drives in it, you will have bad/flaky slots. I just ordered a Sun StorEdge A5200 for around $150, but those are low-profile, and the half-height drives are extremely cheap- you can get 10KRPM half-height 73G drives for around $10/each. that goes up to $50 or so for the low-profile drives of the same spec, and you only get a 30% density improvement.)

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Tom Mornini wrote:

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:59:39 -0700
From: Tom Mornini <tmornini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Xen Users <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Martin Hierling <martin@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] what do you recommend for cluster fs ??

On Sep 25, 2006, at 10:00 AM, Ceri Storey wrote:

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 09:52:19AM -0700, Tom Mornini wrote:
On Sep 25, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Martin Hierling wrote:

setup is easy (about 1h) but my test szenario was: P3-1GHz with
Dom0 as iSCSI Target and 3 DomU as ocfs2 "clients" mounting the
same FS over open-iscsi. That works out of the box but under heavy
load the Clients get kicked by the heardbeat. That obviously was
because the complete network was fuff of iscsi traffic (bonnie). I
will test that in a real environment in about 2 weeks. will reoport
here.

You might get better performance and leave this problem behind with
AoE as it's much less demanding under very high loads.

I must admit that it sounds like you're running your frontend and
backend networks on the same LAN.

It's probably wise to use a dedicated network for storage network
traffic, because as you've seen, it can quite easily saturate the link,
causing performance issues.

It's also entirely possible that moving the storage onto a dedicated
network would bring security benefits, assuming you've taken proper
precautions (there's no need for it to have access / be accessible from
the internet).

These are all excellent points. We have separate IP and AoE networks.

--
-- Tom Mornini