Re: [Xen-users] modem on serial port in Dom0

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 05:26:59PM +0200, Holger Schulthei? wrote:

> unfortunately I can't find a module 'serial_core' in
> /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen,
> this can be the issue why modprobe does not autoload, isn't it?
>
> Is there a reason why 'serial_core' is NOT included in the binary tarball
> (Xen stable 3.0.2)?
>

> > It /should/ be autolaoded when you modprobe 8250.  I don't know what's
> > going on there.
>
> After reviewing my boot messages I found the errors above (unkown
> symbols....).
> So linux wants to load 8250, but the needed symbols aren't available..

Thats correct.  I downloaded the binary install and it seems that
somehow serial_core isn't built, either into the kernel or as a module.

---
tony@thor:~/Downloads/xen-3.0.2-2-install/install/boot$ egrep CORE
config-2.6.16-xen
CONFIG_ELF_CORE=y
# CONFIG_I2C_DEBUG_CORE is not set
CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m
CONFIG_PROC_KCORE=y
---

Don't know how or why.  You have 2 options as far as I can see:
 a) Convince someone to build you a serial_core.ko that will work with
    the binary install of Xen.
 b) Built xen from source yourself.

I can do "a" for you but not for a few days sorry.

Yours Tony

   linux.conf.au       http://linux.conf.au/ || http://lca2007.linux.org.au/
   Jan 15-20 2007      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!