Re: [Xen-users] DOM availability

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jerry Amundson <jerry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:21:07 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:22:23 -0700

On Monday 10 July 2006 20:35, Gregory Gee wrote:
>   Is there any a place where I can get prebuilt DOMU images.  I like the
> idea that VMware has at http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/.  I
> understand that this might not be as easy with Xen, or maybe it is.  I
> have had no problem making DOMs to date, but there are a few that it
> would be nice to just drop in.

Have you checked the Wiki?
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HowTos
and http://www.oszoo.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page plus jailtime.org was
mentioned. http://www.xen-get.org/ is looking for contributions, but seems to
have potential...

>   Is there a reason that this mailing list hasn't turned into a forum
> based discussion.  I find them easier to navigate and find answer to
> questions.  Plus, I would like to see posts on what interesing DOMs that
> people made and how they did them.  Having a forum that stores these
> setups would be great.  There are some interesting setups on the Wiki
> for CoolConfiuration, but lack in detail about issues overcome.  I would
> really like to hear more detail how David Muench setup the VoIP and Myth
> systems.

I, for one, very much prefer the mail list over forums. Too many times I've
been dragged into a forum search that brings up repeated repeated repeated
threads, most of which are unanswered. Sometimes I can refer to my own saved
list messages for answers, other times a search through the archive or google
is almost a sure thing.

>   Main reason asking this is that I have one more DOMU to make which will
> be the email server.  The plan was to use Ubuntu6.06 and
> http://www.qmailrocks.com/ for the email setup.  I currently use the
> setup from this site which is great.  But it takes some time to setup.

There's at least 3 choices out there I'd pick before qmail, but suit
yourself...

jerry