Re: [Xen-users] FPU problem

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 11:49:03AM +0100, Ian Pratt wrote:
>  > > > artsd fails to start on dom0 with this message:

> > > Which version of Xen is this? I'd be very interested to
> > know whether
> > > you can reproduce under 2.0.6 or unstable.
> >
> > 2.0-testing as of 5-15, as reported on
> > http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-05/msg
> > 00334.html
>
> Hmm, I doubt its fixed in 2.0.6 then, but it would be good if you could
> verify this.

I just upgraded to 2.0.6, and playing around for an hour,
but can't reproduce this problem. I guess it will happen again somehow.
Other problems (X application crash) are still remain.

> I'd be *very* interested to know if the unstable tree still has this
> bug. There have been a bunch of changes to the way the FPU is handled,
> so I'd be surprised if it was still present.

I think I can try unstable in a few days.

> Also, what CPU are you using? Are you using anything that might be
> making used of 3dnow/mmx/sse etc?

Pentium III.

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : Pentium III (Katmai)
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 501.147
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : yes
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
sse
bogomips        : 999.42

Dom0 is running usual server software (exim, apache, etc) and
Gnome desktop, krxvt, gkrellm, and firefox.
I changed the window manager from sawfish to metacity, and it crashes
more often than sawfish.
I have only one domU (mostly idle) running bind9.
I don't know any of them use MMX/SSE, however, playing DivX movie
with mplayer, which I think uses MMX/SSE, seems to screw the sysetm badly;
it brings death to metacity, gnome-panel and applets, and firefox,
within seconds.

--
Takeshi