Re: [Xen-users] NTP time issues DomU's

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Fernando Maior <fernando.souto.maior@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:54:22 -0300
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2005 18:53:56 +0000

On 5/12/05, andrew mathes <amathes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> don't the DomU's just get their time from DomO?  Ie. ... even if they
> weren't running ntp they'd always be synced with whatever DomO thought
> about system time?
>
> Maybe i'm way off
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2005, Alex Tomkins wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:42:53AM -0700, andrew mathes wrote:
> >> So, from what it looks like (on my servers and the docs), all my domains
> >> get their time from DomO.  Which I have setting itself through NTP, and
> >> the dom0 looks good.  However, All of the domains are 1.5 seconds off, and
> >> won't ntp themselves on, also, an identical server, all the domains are
> >> .768 seconds off (off of the server i'm ntping to) , but both domO's are
> >> withing (.02) and seem to narrow in as NTP is supposed to.
> >>
> >> So, question is, 1) what is going on here, and 2) can anything be done
> >> about it?
> > Are you using OpenNTPD by any chance?
> > My machines suffered from inaccurate clocks in DomU's, even though the
> > clock was very accurate in Dom0.  Switching to regular ntpd solved this,
> > DomU immediately used the correct time shortly after starting ntpd.
> > --
> > Alex Tomkins <tomkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Andrew,

Please remember, you allways shoult treat each virtual machine
like a completely separated host! So far, you shoul configure ntpd
to get time from -possibly- the same host as you dom0 is getting
time. Try that. It won't hurt :) And I bet you will feel happy with
the result :)

--
Bye,
Fernando Maior