Re: [Xen-devel] Domains not being destroyed properly

On 21/06/2011 12:51, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 12:29 +0100, Anthony Wright wrote:
>> If I create a domain with 'xl create -e', and then shut the domain down
>> with 'xl shutdown' according to 'xl list' it gets stuck in state
>> '--ps-d', with a name of '(none)' and 0 ram, ('xm list' doesn't show the
>> domain).
>> If I destroy the domain with 'xl destroy' the domain is destroyed properly.
>>
>> If I create a domain with 'xl create' (without the '-e' option) and then
>> use 'xl shutdown', the domain is destroyed properly.
>> Since the 'xl shutdown' & 'xl destroy' give different results I presume
>> this is a bug.
> The -e option to xl create means don't daemonize to babysit this domain.
> One of the key bits of functionality of the daemon is to destroy the
> domain after it is shutdown. So if you use -e you need to do the destroy
> manually. So effectively you have gotten what you asked for ;-)

However I can't destroy the domain with 'xl destroy'. The command runs,
but the domain is still there afterwards.
>> As an extra question... Is there a way to be notified when a domain is
>> destroyed other than leaving the 'xl create' process lying around? I'd
>> like to know when any domain is destroyed, and leaving a large number of
>> processes lying around just to be able to do this seems rather ugly. In
>> the past I've editted some of the python code to achieve this, but my
>> patch doesn't work with 4.1, so I'm seeing if there's an official way to
>> do this before I work out a new patch.
> You can take a xenstore watch on the @releaseDomain pseudo node, does
> that do what you want?

I found the @releaseDomain xenstore watch, and have modified my code to
use it. I was wondering if there's a mechanism to find out which domain
is dying. The only mechanism I can find at the moment is to scan through
all the domains to see which one isn't there any more. Assuming 'xl
destroy' works, it would make things a little easier. Is there a better
way to get the domain states other than doing a 'xl list' and parsing
the result?

thanks,

Anthony.