Re: [Xen-devel] 5x dom0 memory increase from Xen/Linux 3.4/2.6.18 to 4.1/3.0.0

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 04:31:11PM +0100, Anthony Wright wrote:
> Lowering swiotlb helped, and got me down to 200M for dom0. What is the effect
> of reducing this value?

Less amount of bounce buffer. But you don't need the bounce buffer for PCI
devices b/c you don't
have more than 4GB of physical memory in the machine.

> I set CONFIG_XEN_MAX_DOMAIN_MEMORY down to 8, but that didn't seem to have
> any effect on dom0's memory requirement. What is this value? Does it only
> apply to a domU's memory usage?

It makes some internal datastructures (P2M) smaller. They are set up for 128GB
or so machines initially.

> I tried the memblock=debug options, and while I got lots of output, I could
> see very little on the subject of memory usage.

The numbers are what amount of memory is reserved. You can find out which are
are is eating the most
by computing the difference.

> I'm at 4x memory usage, which is better, but I'd really like to understand
> where all the memory's going.

Me too.