Re: [Xen-devel] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request - balloon_init - xen-4.1.0 - 2.6.32.39

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 02:25:03PM -0400, Scott Garron wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 03:19 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> >But this might be also something else. Did you try to boot with
> >'acpi=off' just to see if ti gets past this. It might hang on
> >something else with that option sadly :-(
>
>      Booting with acpi=off in this branch (xen/stable-2.6.39.x) yields
> the same results as omitting that option while booting the
> devel/next-2.6.39 branch:  It gets to "Trying to unpack rootfs image as
> initramfs..." and freezes.  The full output of the serial console during

Looking at your output you have this:

(XEN) ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 0 global_irq 2 dfl dfl)
(XEN) ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 0 global_irq 2 dfl dfl)

which means that the ACPI IRQ is edge low. Normaly (this is one
of my machines) has this:

(XEN) ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 0 global_irq 2 dfl dfl)
(XEN) ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 9 global_irq 9 high level)

which ends up calling the override with:
xen: sci override: global_irq=9 trigger=0 polarity=0

(the 0 trigger is high, polarity 0 is level). on your box it should be something
like this:
xen: sci override: global_irq=9 trigger=1 polarity=1

since you have edge and low for the ACPI SCI IRQ.  And if that is
truly your setup (your ACPI SCI IRQ is routed to the pin 0 on the
IOAPIC - in other words on IRQ 0), then we bail out in setting
it up since we do this check:

 if (!gsi)
    return

and we never call xen_register_gsi which sets the GSI.. but
looking at this:
http://pridelands.org/~simba/xen-debug/hailstorm-fullserial20110606.txt
It looks as if you are registering the ACPI SCI to 9, but there is no
interrupt service override to 9 - did you add that in the code yourself?

Can you do (while not having acpi=off) and using 'apic=debug' on you Linux line:

1). Run Ctrl-A couple of times and hit the '*' and send the output.
I am really curious to see what the IOAPIC thinks about the interrupts.
2). Increase the dom0_mem= to say 1G?
3). Try the attached patch (not compile tested)

Do all of those at once.. Lets concentrate on running this with ACPI and
see what we get.