Re: [Xen-devel] Can't reboot Dell Latitude E6420

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 03:09:54PM -0500, Roger Cruz wrote:

> I'm running Xen 4.0.1 on a Sandybridge-based Dell Latitude E6420 and I'm
> finding that the platform reboot operation hangs.

Is that the prototype one?

> I've done some investigation and have tracked down the code that dom0 makes
> in order to reboot the platform is HYPERVISOR_sched_op(SCHEDOP_shutdown,
> code),
> where 'code' is SHUTDOWN_reboot.  This hypercall makes its way to the Xen
> routine  machine_restart() in xen/arch/x86/shutdown.c which performs a reboot
> based on the default reboot_type=BOOT_ACPI.  I have overrode the reboot_type
> and made it BOOT_TRIPLE and BOOT_KBD, and both of these options still hang
> after the invocation that is supposed to reboot the platform.
>
> I experienced the same behavior from a serial Xen console 'R' reboot action,
> which is expected since it too calls machine_restart().
>
> I'm out of ideas here as to why these reboot calls are not working.  I
> figured that the triple fault of the processor would be one that always works
> but it still hangs for me.  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for
> additional tests?

Hm, you could fiddle with the Northbridge:
http://smackerelofopinion.blogspot.com/2011/02/turning-off-pc-using-intel-82801-io.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ASmackerelOfOpinion+%28A+Smackerel+of+Opinion%29

.. how did it reboot in the past? Does it reboot when you run under baremetal?
I wonder what mechanism the baremetal
employs - it might be that we are missing one for the Dell machines (check the
DMI lookup tables in the Linux kernel)?