Re: [Xen-users] PV networking issue in 2.6.38.6 and 2.6.39-rc7 pvops dom0 kernels

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 01:20:32PM +0200, Mario wrote:
> On 05/17/2011 01:04 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

>>> nomodeset and/or nofb do not seem to help.
>>> console=tty0 also does not seem to have any effect.
>>>
>>> Only way to successfuly boot dom0 is with one of these:
>>>
>>> CONFIG_FB=n
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> echo "blacklist s3fb">  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-s3fb.conf
>>>
>>> As soon as fb device is modprobed, booting stops, and server freezes.
>>> Can anything else be done? Perhaps some setting for xen in kernel..?
>>
>> Set up a serial console and configure Xen + dom0 kernel log to it..
>> and see what goes wrong. http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole
>>
>> ie. does dom0 kernel crash while loading s3fb?
>>
>> -- Pasi
>>

> Well, i forgot to mention one more method, that is to add: fbcon=map:X
> Where X is something that is not in /proc/fb, basicly an invalid device.
> So, for example: fbcon=map:9
>
> To make it short, dom0 freezes/crashes and it never reaches a full
> booted up state, so it will not respond to pings. The last thing
> displayed on the screen is s3fb being loaded and that /dev/fb0 was
> created.
>
> When i first experienced this problem, it was back when i first tried
> Xen 4.0.1, however, i had just a blank screen with blinking cursor to
> work with. So i had to set up a serial console to figure out what was
> wrong. After seeing how it stops on framebuffer, i blacklisted the
> module, and it worked. I kept on doing so on every other setup i have
> made, but now, one year later, i was wondering if this is ever going to
> be fixed, or if i can somehow help to get it fixed.. :-)

Yep, you can help by posting the full boot logs from serial console,
both Xen and dom0 linux kernel logs.

http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole

and: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps,
especially the "Are there more debugging options .." section.

-- Pasi