RE: [Xen-devel] Debian linux-image-2.6.32-4-xen-amd64 2.6.32-11 doesn't boot with > 4 GiB; resets immediatelly, no log messages

> Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:27:37 +0800 <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> > On 04/12/2010 06:20 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> Then do you have an idea why "xm info" shows a bit more, 900 MB free /
> >> 3990 MB total, while "xm list" shows only a 2048 dom0 running??? I'm not
> >> talking about just few bytes here, but one third of my RAM gone ...
> >> What's going on?
> >>

> > Is this immediately after boot, or have you started/shutdown some domains?
> >
> > Also, can you include the xen console output from "xm debug-keys m" as well?

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Let me explain again.
>
> After boot-up situation (running KDE 3.5 and typing this message), xm
> info shows 3990 RAM (I believe the 4GB is 4096MB, unless Xen counts RAM
> like HDD vendors...) and 645 MB free, and "xm list" shows that dom0 is
> using 3286 MB. Already, things are weird because 645 free + 3286 for the
> dom0 makes 3931 and not 3990, and I never asked that my dom0 takes
> anything (at boot-up it should take all the available memory).
>
> Then I do:
>
> xm mem-set Domain-0 2048
>
> and then I get:
> xm list Domain-0: 2048
> xm info Free RAM: 1627
>
> That makes a total of 3675 MB, which is less than the total of what I
> had at boot time without using xm mem-set. Ever more weirdness: the
> amount of free RAM after a xm mem-set call does vary randomly each time
> I boot my laptop (a one year old Lenovo T500).
>
> Note that I tried upgrading to the very latest version of Xen and pv_ops
> kernel from the pkg-xen team, so I tried both kernel 2.6.32-10 /
> hypervisor 3.4.2-3 and kernel 2.6.32-11 / hypervisor 3.4.2-4. They both
> had the issue. I'm using them in Lenny (I rebuilt the Debian package
> from source to create my own backports, which I don't believe is an
> issue as the same thing has been uploaded to backports.org).
>
> "xm debug-keys m" shows nothing, when exactly should I type it (sorry,
> I'm not familiar with Xen debugging...).

The terminal returns nothing for me as well.

Then I found this:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-changelog/2007-03/msg00137.html

Perhaps you could look at the DEBUG entries more closely in your Xen log. Look for the extra injected debug-key events in the logs.