Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.1 Feature Request List

On 04/07/2010 04:13 AM, Grant McWilliams wrote:

   1. Figure out why you can't start a VM with a disk image residing
      in a ramdisk (bug?)

What happens if you do that?

   1. Nesting
         1. As silly as this feature sounds it may be why I leave Xen
            for KVM. This would be useful for teaching management of
            VMs. A student could have a Dom0 and start up DomUs inside
            it without each on needing their own physical machine.

Xen nests OK, so long as you're happy running purely PV guests within the inner Xen.

        1.

   1. Install PV DomU from CD without FTP/NFS tricks.
         1. I don't care how it's done but it would be nice. The
            "install from network" shuffle can pose a complexity for
            people getting started in Xen. I'm aware that HVM does
            this because of it's use of Qemu but it would be nice
            everywhere. Maybe as Xen moves to Hybrid VMs instead of
            PV/HVM this will no longer be an issue.

What I typically do is install systems as HVM, then just boot them as PV later on. For Fedora installs, at least, it pretty much just works because they avoid having any direct device references for filesystems, etc. It's a bit more fiddly without having HVM available.