[Xen-devel] PCI Device 16 and over

Hi,

I've been playing with moving devices around as a prelude
to the GSI mapping work that has been discussed.

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-03/msg00046.html

At the moment I am just hacking xend to see what kind
of assignments work and what don't. I haven't actually
implemented a new device allocation function yet.

In the course of doing this I have noticed two things:

1. The following device seems to need to live at virtual PCI device 1
   (this actually isn't a big problem, just a curiosity)

   00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
   00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II]
   00:01.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)

2. While give devices a virtual PCI device number > 15, my test device,
   which is an ioemu rt8139 does not seem to function.

Suspecting this is related to firmware issues I started to poke around
there, and noticed that in tools/firmware/hvmloader/acpi/dsdt.asl
"Device 1" - "Device 15" are mentioned, but devices 16+ are not.

I have to admit that I don't understand dsdt.asl (though any pointers would
be welcome). But this does seem curious.

--
Simon Horman
  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K., Sydney, Australia Satellite Office