Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the unit for passthrough

On 05/03/2009 10:13, "Simon Horman" <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> So it is entirely possible that MSI won't be used on an MSI-capable
>> function?  Is this true of SR-IOV (virtual) functions too?
>
> Thinking more. One of the arguments surounding why 32 GSI is enough,
> is that systems with more functions than that can reasonably be
> expected to be using MSI. And thus will not actually use more than 32 GSI.

I think that is a reasonable assumption. But the fallback to GSI does need
to work, and I wonder why sharing of GSIs among passed-thru devices needs to
be absolutely disallowed? We'd have an easier time if it worked. ;-)

 -- Keir