[Xen-devel] Design question for PV superpage support

  • To: "Xen Developers List" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dave McCracken <dcm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 07:54:23 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 05:54:50 -0800

The solution I am working on for how to support Linux hugepages (Xen
superpages) involves creating domains made up entirely of superpages.  I can
create a working domain with superpages and am in the process of supporting
it in save/restore.

For this to work properly this should be an attribute of a domain, specified
somewhere in domain configuration and attached to that domain for its
lifetime.  This way it could be checked at memory populate time, save/restore
time, and by the various balloon drivers.

My question is for those of you who best know the overall Xen design
principles.  Where should the flag be specified by the user?  Where should it
best be set in the running domain?  I've seen some examples of flags being
passed around, but would like some guidance on the best place to put it to
fit into the Xen design.

Thanks,
Dave McCracken
Oracle Corp.