Re: [Xen-devel] Questions about direct hardware access, DMA, etc

  • To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "David Stone" <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:48:51 -0400
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 06:49:31 -0700

> All the AMD and Intel passthru support for HVM guests is in the main tree.
> The Neocleus stuff is in direct-io.hg. The iommu.hg tree is not directly
> relevant to the passthru work for HVM guests.

Thanks guys.  Just so I'm clear, the current main tree supports
passing through DMA-using devices to a DomU via Intel VT-d?  Is this
controlled by some new configuration file parameters?

>From what I've just read VT-d chipsets have been available since a few
months ago, do you know if they are in any off-the-shelf machines yet,
like something I could buy from Dell or whoever?  What have Xen
developers been using to develop support for VT-d?  (I know this isn't
a completely Xen-specific question but I'm not a hardware expert so
I'm a bit naive about this kind of thing...)

And finally a similar question for AMD's IOMMU...you said there was
support for AMD IOMMU/passthru...does that mean support for a chipset
implementing the AMD IOMMU spec?  Do any such chipsets even exist yet?
 Or do you mean using the GART as an IOMMU?

Thanks,
Dave