RE: [Xen-devel] Re: What is more secure? HVM or PV ?

  • To: "David Pilger" <pilger.david@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:17:26 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 02:17:31 -0800

What's the goal of the attack - to take control of the system or to just
be a nuisance and crash it?

To take control, I suspect the easiest approach is known kernel holes
and a direct attack on Dom0.

DomU is probably capable of causing Dom0 to crash - at least there's
been bugs like that in the HVM side of the hypervisor - most of the PV
side is probably more immunce thanks to greater maturity of the code.

I'm pretty sure that if anyone actually KNOWS of a method to attack the
system, then it would be on it's way to being fixed.

There's no interface that actually allows the guest to ask for Dom0 to
execute the guests code - but seeing as the code in Xen is large enough
that it's hard to track EVERYTHING, there may be some obscure way of
making it misbehave.

--
Mats