Re: [Xen-devel] xm dump-core and analyzing

Keir Fraser wrote:

> On 11/12/06 15:34, "Dave Anderson" <anderson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> Hi Akio, Thanks for your help.
> >>
> >> But I don't think this tool is compatible with xm dump-core's product,
> >> but rather with xen0/xenU kernel coredumps.
> >>
> >> Anyone?
> >
> > The xm dump-core facility is just a way of forcing a xenU crash,
> > and uses the same dumpfile format as xenU kernel coredumps.
>
> I just want to check that you aren't under the impression that 'xm
> dump-core' emits an Elf core file. It doesn't -- the format is custom and as
> far as I know is only interpreted by a set of gdbserver patches that we ship
> in our repository. Does the crash utility really support this special
> format?

It does -- at least for para-virtualized x86 and x86_64 xenU kernels that
have writeable page tables.  It's not clear to me whether it works on
those xenU kernels with shadow page tables -- I have not personally
seen it do so since we (Red Hat) ship x86/x86_64 xenU kernels
with writeable page tables.

With respect to fully-virtualized kernels, it does not work due to the
skipping of uninstantiated pseudo-pages in the xendump page list,
the issue that John Levon reported here:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-11/msg01226.html

And in addition, I have been working all along with Magnus Damm with
xen0/hypervisor vmcore support as well.

Dave