Re: [Xen-devel] BUG: make O= broken

Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 12:00 +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>> I've tried to turn the sparse tree into a big patch (is there an easy
>> way to do this btw?).
>
> make linux-2.6-xen.patch should give you a patch against the upstream
> kernel, is that what you are looking for?

I needed a patch against the ref tree, not the pristine tree.  It should
come close though, I'll have a look.

>>   Documentation/dontdiff excludes too much giving
>> me a incomplete xenlinux tree, which in turn generated build errors
>> looking much like it takes the wrong (native) include files.  I've seen
>> that in the past with O=, so I blamed it first ...
>
> That's strange -- I wouldn't expect the sparse tree to add anything
> which would be listed in dontdiff. Are the symlinks into the sparse tree
> confusing diff perhaps?

No.  Fixed up dontdiff, now it works, at least as long as I do the
"prep" step only.  Offending entries:

  asm-offset.c  (which is a bug IMHO).
  asm           (probably to catch include/asm symlink, but catches
                 include/asm-{arch}/mach-xen/asm too).
  version.h     (guess for the generated include/linux/version.h,
                 but catches include/xen/interface/version.h too).

cheers,
  Gerd

--
Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>