[Xen-devel] Re: Error reporting capabilities for libxc

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
I'm doing this on FC6 - the __thread annotation is the same approach
used in libc for the per-thread errno variable, hence why I chose it
try it initially. The version are:

  glibc-2.5-3
  gcc-4.1.1-30

I've found in the past that __thread can have problems when using shared libraries (the exact instance was a Python binding).

I've not explicitly tested this integrating with the python bindings
and ensuring the correct per-thread operation.

Will the python bindings actually load? In the past, I've not been able to import a module that contains __thread variables.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

One further issue I've thought of is that the __thread annotation does
not provide any way to do cleanup when a thread exists. Fine if the
per-thread variable is a simple scalar, but not so good if its a char *
since I think it'll leak memory. So I think I may have no choice by to
re-write with pthread_getspecific(), since that allows registration
of a cleanup function to free memory.

Regards,
Dan.