Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] 32/64-bit hypercall interface revisited

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 08:50 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2006, at 21:24, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>
> >> This patch will unconditionally use the 'structural' definition of
> >> guest handles for tools and kernels as well as Xen, right? Can
> >> XenLinux
> >> for x86/ia64 still build with this patch, without needing a bunch of
> >> GET/SET_GUEST_HANDLE changes?
> >
> > Sorry, you're right. Attached are three patches: the Xen patch, the
> > linux-2.6-merge patch, and the linux-2.6-sparse patch.
>
> This looks basically acceptable except....
>
> Christian suggested providing GET/SET_XEN_GUEST_HANDLE(), for use at
> least in the Linux patches. These could be defined in xen.h after
> including arch-foo.h and simply invoke the arch-defined macros.
>
> Alternatively we could simply change the names of all the macros to
> ...XEN_GUEST_HANDLE, and use the new names everywhere. I think that
> would be okay as the names aren't that much longer and they aren't used
> *that* often outside header files anyway. It'll make the patch a lot
> bigger, but most of it'll be search-replace. And XEN_GUEST is more
> informative than GUEST.

Fine with me. I've split the global rename into a separate patch.

> I don't think there's a need to send a patch for the merge tree --
> Christian pulls unstable patches into that in a half-automated way.

Ok.

> Also, no need to use GET_GUEST_HANDLE() in the libxc's read_console
> function. Xen will never update the buffer pointer these days -- it
> always fills the buffer from the start. When we eventually kill the
> mlock() crap and implement it properly, I think GET_GUEST_HANDLE() can
> be killed off entirely.

That's fine, but I would like to avoid changing any behavior with these
patch. If you want to remove that, you're welcome to...

These patches have been compile-tested (Xen, libxc, sparse Linux) on
x86(32).

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center